Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Book Talk 8

April 16, 2013

This week, I read Aunt Flossie's Hats (and Crab Cakes Late) by Elizabeth Fitzgerald Howard. This book is about two little girls who go to their Great Aunt Flossie's house every Sunday after church. While at her house, the girls have a snack, then try on Aunt Flossie's collection of hats. Each hat has a meaning and with each one that is tried on, a story is to be told. At the end of the day, all three of them go to a restaurant and meet the girls' dad for crab cakes.  I really like this book because it shows the traditions of some families and how much they can mean to you. I know that my family has traditions and I would be lost without them. The pictures in this book are also great. They are done with oil paint and look very original because you can see the strokes on the pages. The pictures also bring the words to life and really express what the author is trying to say.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book visually and how you presented. I love the idea of traditions, multicultural, and diversity featured in this book. I think I may want to revisit this book with my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are such an important aspect of growing up! This would be such a great book to lead into a discussion about the various traditions between families and cultures.

    ReplyDelete