Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book Talk 7

April 10, 2013


This week, I read the book, Do Like Kyla by Angela Johnson. It was a cute little book
about two sisters, one older and one younger. In the book, the little girl (who remains
nameless throughout the book) copies exactly whatever her older sister does. For
example, the girls wake up in the morning and Kyla runs over to the window to see the birds and her little sister follows. The pictures in this book are an added bonus, however they are not necessary. Also, "I do like Kyla" is a phrase that is repeated throughout this book and might be something to draw attention to if you were reading this book to a classroom. This book reminded me of me and my sister. I am the older one and my younger sister used to copy me so much and I just remember it would drive me crazy, because I was trying to be my own person and I wanted my sister to be her own person as well. What I didn't realize was that my sister, just like the little sister in the book was trying to learn from the older one and the copying was their practice being their own person. I really enjoyed reading this book, but I am not 100% sure that I would use it in a classroom.

1 comment:

  1. This story looks great to read to brothers and sisters or just sisters. I like the concept of the story"Do like Kyla". I am also an older sister and remember when my sister wanted to do everything like me and with me. Then it seemed annoying but now looking back on it, it was an honor that she wanted to do everything like me or with me. It's ironic don't you think?

    ReplyDelete