Sunday, February 24, 2013

Book Talk 3

February 21, 2013

This week, I read Amazing Grace. This book is about a little girl who loves to act and dance. She constantly plays dress up and acts out characters like Joan of Arc and Mowgli  from the Jungle Book. At school, they are putting on a play called Peter Pan. Grace automatically raises her hand to play the lead part-Peter. All the kids in her class tell her that she can't do that because she is a girl and she is black. Feeling frustrated and put down, Grace looks to her mother and grandmother for advice. They tell her to audition anyways, because you never know what will happen. Grace's grandmother even takes her to a ballet where a famous black woman is performing. Grace is more inspired than ever and auditions proudly for the role of Peter Pan.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your book and the enthusiasm you put into it. I appreciated the fact that the little girl fought for what she stands for. I like how the book celebrates diversity. I can't wait to check this out and read to my children and students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this story when I was I school. It is such a great story! This sets up a great area for discussion of diversity and racism. You could even do activities with this book during Black History Month.

    ReplyDelete