Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Talk 2

February 5, 2013




This book was written and illustrated by Dolores Johnson in 1991. The book is about a little boy who is left home with a babysitter. Kevin, the little boy, thinks that all babysitters are the same; they paint their nails, make phone calls and watch tv. Throughout this book, we see Kevin go through a change of emotions and almost a change of character. As the book gets closer to the end, we see this change of emotions and eventually Kevin's behavior changes. The pictures in this book are not vital, but they do emphasize what the words exactly mean. The main connection I have to this book is that my whole life I have babysat small children and I have constantly tried not to be the typical, boring babysitter that Kevin is afraid of having. I would say that the level of this book is about kindergarten-second grade.

2 comments:

  1. When you presented this book I thought it was amazing, the idea of warming up to someone you already think you do not like before even meeting them, teaches a good lesson. This book is not only diverse, but it teaches kids about getting to know someone before you set your mind to not liking someone. I also like that you as a babysitter can relate to it, and also I love the idea of an old lady that just sits on the couch doing nothing irritates the little boy to no end, it is hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this book because it teaches that you can't judge a book by its cover. Meaning that just looking at someone can't tell you how that person is going to be. This is a great life lesson that some of us are still learning.Great book!

    ReplyDelete